Fiona Mactaggart, Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Slough has signed up to 6 pledges promising to uphold international law and support peace and justice in the search for a fair settlement for the Palestinians.
Fiona said, “I am delighted to support these pledges. I was dismayed at the loss of life and destruction in Gaza last year, with thousands killed or maimed. This made me even prouder when Labour MPs walked through the lobby supporting last year’s historic vote in Westminster to recognise Palestine.
“The international community must play its part in helping both sides to find a fair and just solution, upholding international law, and end the decade’s long occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. So Israelis and Palestinians can live peacefully side by side.”
Labour Candidates our being asked to sign up to the 6 pledges (see below) by Labour Friends of Palestine and the Middle East (LFPME). LFPME is Labour Friends of Palestine and the Middle East (LFPME) is a voluntary group within the Labour movement that campaigns for peace and justice in the Middle East through the implementation of international law and respect for human rights.
LFPME General Election pledges:
1. Peace: Support a viable peace process between Israelis and Palestinians, based on internationally recognised (1967) borders.
2. Palestinian Statehood: Reaffirm the Labour party’s commitment to the recognition of a safe and viable Palestinian State alongside a safe and viable Israel.
3. Human Rights: Oppose violations of international human rights law, in particular the detention of children and detention of political prisoners without trial.
4. The Wall: Oppose the continued construction of the Separation Wall on Palestinian land, a direct contravention of international law.
5. The Blockade: End the siege on Gaza and ensure the free flow of aid and trade.
6. Illegal Settlements: Call for a complete freeze on illegal settlement growth in order to save any hope for a viable two state solution, and end all trade and investment with illegal Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory.